1. Match-fixing: This controversy involves manipulation of the outcome of a sporting event for gambling purposes, with individuals bribing players, referees, or officials to influence the game’s result.
2. Illegal betting: The illegal betting industry is a significant concern in sports, as it enables the potential for corruption and match-fixing, bypasses regulations, and facilitates money laundering.
3. Sports betting promotion: The increasing prevalence of sports betting promotion and advertising has raised concerns about the potential influence on vulnerable individuals and the integrity of sports.
4. Performance-enhancing drugs: The use of performance-enhancing substances in sports is often linked to gambling controversies. Athletes may be enticed to cheat to ensure they win and secure lucrative bets.
5. Inside information: The acquisition and misuse of insider information on teams, players, or injury news by individuals involved in gambling can lead to unfair advantages and manipulation of betting outcomes.
6. Fantasy sports and daily fantasy sports: The rise of fantasy sports and daily fantasy sports has raised questions about their classification as skill-based games rather than gambling, as they involve the potential for financial gains based on players’ performance.
7. Online gambling: The proliferation of online gambling platforms has made placing bets more accessible, creating concerns about addiction, underage gambling, and the potential for fraudulent activities.
8. Sports sponsorship: The relationship between sports teams/organizations and gambling operators is a contentious issue, with debates arising over the level of influence these partnerships may have on the integrity of sports.
9. Relationship with organized crime: In some cases, the gambling industry has been associated with organized crime, leading to concerns about corruption, money laundering, and the potential influence of criminal elements within sports.
10. Athlete gambling: Athletes themselves engaging in gambling activities, especially if they bet on their own sports, poses ethical dilemmas and potential conflicts of interest, potentially compromising the integrity of the game.